Many countries have been heavily affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. How is Lucerne currently dealing with this crisis?
Lucerne has also been affected by the COVID-19. In summer we have done a lot of marketing activities to attract national tourists, which was successful even if we miss international tourism. We look into the future and plan further activities to motivate guests from the countries nearby to visit Lucerne and its surroundings.
The MICE industry is also struggling during these difficult times. How do you think this will change our industry, and what measures can be taken, in your opinion?
The MICE industry will struggle longer than individual tourism. Big events won’t come back very soon, but I presume that smaller meetings will take place again as soon as the situation is better. It can also be seen as a chance. Lucerne is a small congress city and thanks to hybrid events, we will maybe have the opportunity to welcome congresses which were until now too big for our destination, as the number of participants will be reduced, as some guests watch the congress online.
As soon as Lucerne is able to welcome international association congresses in the future:
Did you know, that…?
- The architect of the KKL, Jean Nouvel, wanted to build the congress centre on the water. As it wasn’t possible, he brought water into the building, which is very impressive.
- This beautiful region, called Central Switzerland, is where our nation Switzerland was born, more than 700 years ago.
- The Lucerne Tourism Board, together with the city, proposes financial support for associations organizing their congresses.
Where to meet?
Lucerne has venues with first-class infrastructure and capacities of up to 5,000 people. The city has 9 event venues.
The most prestigious one is the KKL Luzern (Culture and Convention Centre Lucerne). This masterpiece of architecture is located right on the shore of Lake Lucerne and it is easily accessible by public transportation. From Lucerne railway station, it’s only 100 steps under shelter to reach the location. The showpiece is the Concert Hall, the acoustics of which ensure unforgettable musical moments and which also offers varied presentation possibilities for conferences.
The biggest one is the Messe Luzern. Only 2 minutes away from Lucerne railway station by train, the Messe Luzern offers 4 halls (up to 5,000 people in each of them) as well as a conference centre (up to 400 people). The panoramic view of the Mount Pilatus gives an inspiring atmosphere.
The most special one is the Swiss Museum of Transport. This place is the most visited museum in Switzerland. But it is also a great place to meet. Inside the museum, you will find 6 conference rooms (the biggest one can have up to 600 people), one Filmtheater (biggest screen in Switzerland) which can be exclusively rented, as well as 4 museum halls, which are perfect for a cocktail or a gala dinner.
Where to stay?
The city of Lucerne has 3,000 hotel rooms in numerous hotels. There are 3 5-star hotels, 7 4-star hotels, 4 3-star hotels.
Schweizerhof Luzern: The 5* Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern is prominently located in the centre of Lucerne. The nine event rooms are bathed in natural light and offer the ideal location for every event. Stories have been a feature of the Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern. Not the stories of 1001 nights granted, but nevertheless 1001 individual stories of people past and present who have stayed at the hotel.
Palace Hotel & Conferences / Bürgenstock Resort: The Bürgenstock Resort offers four hotels, a Health & Medical Excellence Centre, business facilities, the 10,000 sqm Bürgenstock Alpine Spa as well as 10 restaurants and bars. The historic Palace Hotel & Conferences, built in 1903, has been fully renovated and features 108 rooms and suites, all offering amazing views over Lake Lucerne or the Alps. The modern conference center on 2,200 sqm with 31 spacious rooms is an ideal setting for meetings, seminars and conferences of any kind.
The Radisson Blu Hotel Lucerne is in an ideal location in the Lakefront Center, in the direct vicinity of the railway station and KKL Luzern. 189 hotel guest rooms in three different colours set new standards of design and comfort. A total of over 1,200 sqm of events space offers the best platform for seminars, conferences and banquets. The 14 multifunctional and air-conditioned meeting rooms are equipped with the latest conference technology. In the Mediterranean restaurant Luce, the guests enjoy both their lunch and dinner in a cultivated and informal atmosphere.
How to get there?
Lucerne's location in the heart of Switzerland makes it easily accessible both by public transport and car. The magnificent landscape makes every trip from and to Lucerne an attraction in its own right. Zurich International Airport is the main gateway to Switzerland. With direct flights to 185 destinations in 66 countries it is one of Europe’s leading airports. You can easily reach Lucerne from Zurich International Airport by train or car within about one hour. Excellent connections by rail (half-hourly services from e.g. Zurich) boat and road (A2 / A4 motorways).
Lucerne Mobility Ticket: Visitors staying at a hotel in Lucerne receive a free rail / bus travelcard (Zone 10, 2nd class, not valid for waterways).
Do you offer any special services/assistance for associations?
We are pleased to help you in the organization of congresses:
- Congress funding: financial support for congresses
- Free mobility ticket: Free bus travelcard for delegates staying at a hotel in Lucerne (Zone 10, 2nd class)
- Help by the analysis of the request, professional support, such as a bid book or a PowerPoint presentation
- Site inspection: organization of a site inspection according to the client’s requirements
- Advertising materials : Providing a range of advertising materials such as photographs, films, brochures and city maps free of charge
Personal recommendation/insider tips?
- Discover the history of Lucerne by visiting the old town, discovering the famous Chapel Bridge. Also have a look at the Musegg Wall, historic fortification which has towers.
- Have a cruise on beautiful Lake Lucerne, then take a cable car to a mountain. There are many possibilities: Mount Pilatus, Mount Rigi, Stanserhorn and many more
- Have an excursion on the Burgenstock resort, with a hotel complex as well as many restaurants. The view is amazing.
- Enjoy a nice concert in the white hall of the KKL Luzern
- Enjoy a fine chocolate at Max Chocolatier
Whom to contact?
Mrs Isaline Grichting, Sales and Marketing Manager Associations
firstname.lastname@example.org / +41 41 227 17 47